The Taraporewala aquarium is the only one of its kind in Mumbai, and is situated near the end of Marine Drive. It was formally opened by the late Dr. Rajendra Prasad on the 27th of May 1951. A very popular place for children to visit, the aquarium has three large rooms that contain fishes varying in shape, size and colour. Amongst them are printed morays, huge gold fish, whales and sharks. A couple of turtles can also be seen swimming gracefully around their tanks.
Various other exhibits are on display in another room. Jewellery fashioned out of pearls and mother of pearls are exhibited here. There are also specimens and information depicting the various stages of growth in a pearl. The aquarium also has a small but interesting collection of aquatic plants.